Skip to main content

Layman’s Bible Review - NKJV Personal Size Giant Print Reference Bible by Thomas Nelson

NKJV Comfort Print Reference Bible, Personal Size Giant Print


I picked this up because I’ve been doing a read-through of the NKJV, which is already one of my favorite translations. I researched different options and decided to go with this one due to its low price, sturdy build, and larger print size.  This is so much more Bible than the price or size would seem to indicate.


(I will not make any critiques of the NKJV translation itself; you can see my Bible translation guide elsewhere on this blog.)


Price - I found mine at Hobby Lobby for $12.  Retail price is around $20-$25.


Size & Font - 5.5” by 8.5”, but it’s extremely readable, minimal ghosting, dark print (even the red letter which I’m not too fond of on principle).  The letters aren’t elongated and it lives up to the name of “comfort print.”  (Text is 11.5 point and is very easy on the eyes). The red letter (which I’m not fond of) is dark, so hopefully it won’t fade too bad over time.  There are just under 1600 pages and the volume is about 1.25 inches thick.


Physical features - This Bible has a strong smythe-sewn binding so it should last through  years of regular use.  It comes in the following formats:

  • Hardcover (no ribbon markers)
  • Imitation leather in several colors (one ribbon marker)
  • Deluxe imitation leather in three colors (slightly more expensive but still reasonable, has two ribbons rather than one, as well as a floral paste down insert rather than plain.)


Uses - This is a reading and church Bible, pure and simple.  It is in paragraph rather than verse-by-verse form, which is great if you’re just reading the scriptures devotionally, and which I prefer to keep things in context.  


Other features - There are copious references which are listed at the end of each page, both those of the translators (which are fairly good by themselves) as well as a ton more for this edition.  (40,000 in total!)


Mixed in with the references are basic textual notes, especially those dealing with textual variants; however some more detailed translator notes (such as alternative renderings) are not in this edition.  


There is a small dictionary-concordance at the end but it is very basic.  There are your normal half dozen or so maps in the back.


Pros:

  • Size is great to hold and carry
  • Print is large and dark but not crazy big or narrow
  • Text is clear with few distractions 
  • Sewn binding and well-made stitched imitation leather (in mine)
  • Multiple color options in a nice imitation leather


Cons:

  • Some translator notes are missing
  • Sometimes it seems like they’re trying to cram in more letters on a line. The type size and shape are mostly consistent but not totally so.
  • No black letter edition available (I’m not a red letter fan)


If only...

  • Concordance is a bit sparse
  • A separate guide to weights and measures would be helpful; some are in the dictionary-concordance but not all
  • Would prefer a vinyl to paper paste down insert but oh well

As you can see the pros are tremendous; the cons are minimal. I highly recommend this volume for anyone who wants a solidly made, reasonably priced, easy-to-read NKJV Bible.  The negatives are minimal, and as far as quality, price, and accuracy this handy volume is tough to beat!


Here is the edition I bought

(ISBN 9780785216711)


Here are some detailed photos:


The packaging (sleeve rather than a box)


Font comparison with Time New Roman


The cover


Inside the front cover




Close-up of poetic section


Close up of (mostly) prose paragraphing 


Close-up of Red Letter page


The dictionary concordance 


Some of the maps


Want to learn more about great NKJV editions or meet other fans! Check out the NKJV Facebook Group!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Layman’s Bible Review: KJV Large Print Pew Bible (Thomas Nelson)

King James Version Large Print Pew Bible (Thomas Nelson) I had the chance to check this volume out from the public library. Pew Bibles used to be hardcover yet somewhat cheap. This one is hardcover, and is inexpensive but cheap it ain’t!  The size is excellent; it is easy to carry and store. It’s not too thick, too small, or too big. The print is wonderful! Nelson has really hit it out of the park with their Comfort Print fonts, and their KJV offering is perhaps the best of the lot. It is bold and easy to see but - unlike some older large or giant print Bibles, it is not stretched in any way. Did I mention it is Large Print? As in 12 point Large Print? My aging eyes don’t need reading glasses to read this one; indeed, I could read this with glasses at all! I’m not a big red letter fan (“I like Bibles where all God’s words are black  letter”) but this one is fairly dark, brownish red which is much better. Iv would think this has less a chance to fade with time. Not only is the

A Simple Layman's Guide to Bible Translations

( This page in PDF ) Over the years, I have purchased many translations (and used several apps) of the Bible in my desire to know God's Word better. Since I do not know Greek and Hebrew, and since I know that perfect translation between two languages is impossible, owning and reading several translations is the best way for the average English speaker to get a good sense of what the divinely inspired authors of the Scriptures wish to say.   I will speak on several popular as well as not-so-known translations of the Scriptures (the ones I have come into more than passing contact with) in hopes that the visitors to this site will get some good use out of them. In my reviews, I will go translation by translation and give a general overview of each translation, as well as good points and bad points of each one.    I have recently added my special “Deity of Christ” measurement, based on the verses at the end and how they translate passages which teach Jesus’ Godhead.  1 point for fully

Welcome back!

Hi! I’m back, sort of. I’d like to pick back up with my web presence, though at this time it will be more limited and more re-released and update content I’ve posted in the past, theological and historical mainly. Some humor perhaps, no politics at this point. God bless!